In Japanese, our name means “gathering of intellect,” and we at Shueisha Inc. convey useful information, profound knowledge, and great entertainment to millions each day through many platforms of communication. As one of Japan’s leading publishers, our publications encompass a wide range of subjects and genres, from magazines, literature, art, children’s, and reference books, to manga (comics/graphic novels).
|Description of Business||
*Publication of books and magazines in both paper and digital form, including manga, literature, nonfiction, news, business, culture, art, children’s, complete works series, dictionaries, etc.
*Management of websites, apps, and e-commerce sites
*Copyright management, licensing
1925: Founded as the entertainment division of the publishing company Shogakukan.
1926: Split off from Shogakukan and became the independent company Shueisha on August 8th.
1949: Incorporated as Shueisha Inc.
|The Expanding World of Manga||
As a leading national publisher, Shueisha has continued to release one popular magazine after another. The comic magazine “Weekly Shonen Jump” (first published in 1968) in particular is very popular, not only in Japan, but also overseas. Many manga are translated into various languages and published in over 40 countries and regions. Shueisha’s main strength as a publisher is its many megahit manga titles. Manga has an enormous amount of influence on the younger generation, which should make them our loyal readers for years to come. Moreover, through further utilization of manga resources in the form of animated films, movies, events, and merchandising, as well as through localization, we expect our business to reach all corners of the world in the future. Our publications are aimed at the Japanese domestic market, but many manga titles are distributed to the world through our related company VIZ Media and other overseas partners and the worldwide app MANGA Plus by SHUEISHA.
Head Office: 2-5-10 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda, Tokyo 101-8050 Japan
- Inquiries regarding translation and publication overseas ONLY. (Not including screen rights, commercialization, etc.)
- We do not handle matters related to commercialization of animated works (TV/theatrical release) or video productions (TV dramas/live-action films, etc.) overseas.
- It may not be possible to respond to all inquiries.
- In some cases, an agent designated by Shueisha will respond.
- See here for inquiries regarding film/video adaptations, commercialization, etc. (Japanese only)
- Please be sure to include the name of the publishing house and your department when applying.